The Community Shares Company advised us when we started to develop our business plan and turned it into a credible business plan which helped convince people that we could make a go of this. It is in part thanks to them that The Bevy will be opening its doors by Xmas 2014!Bevendean Co-operative Pub
What We Did
- When their only pub closed in 2010, Bevendean & Moulescoomb’s 18,000 residents were four miles away from the nearest pub. They needed to convince the East Brighton Trust to award them the lease on the pub to run it as a community enterprise, then raise the capital to refit the pub.
What We Did
- We helped the group by drafting their business plan that persuaded the Trust to award a lease to the group. They then did a community share issue that raised £55,000 and an additional £20,000 in donations.
- We advised them of potential grants, which secured an additional £100,000.
- We’ve continued to provide advice on legal, regulatory and governance issues.
- Official Website
- Bevendean Share Offer Document (PDF)
- Co-ops UK Pamphlet: ‘Calling Time on Pub Closures’ (PDF)
- Pubs.coop (Plunkett Foundation support site)