The communication skills the Community Shares Company brought to the task were underpinned by fresh understanding of what we were trying to achieve and what our vision would be, combined with an strong empathy for our cause. We would recommend them for any community enterprise looking to raise significant investment capital through community shares.Hastings Pier Charity
What We Did
- Hastings Pier closed in 2004 and burnt down in 2010. The Charity had secured over £13M of lottery funding to enable the structure to be renovated but was short of the money to finish the build.
- It is essential that there are attractions on the Pier that earned enough money to cover ongoing maintenance. That meant working capital to develop the business but it was critical that this came from people who were prepared to be patient and allow the Pier time to develop its business.
- They also needed to energise the local community into supporting their Pier and knit people into the business. It was vital that this wasn’t about the lottery repairing the Pier in honour of its glorious heritage, but the community coming together to get their Pier developed as a symbol of a better future.
What We Did
- We wrote the offer document that sold the investment and designed the theme which sought to marry the ambitious plans for the future with the Pier’s history.
- We advised the Charity on a marketing campaign to promote the share offer.